Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Home Brewing in VU land

Hello !!!!!!!


Welcome to my Blog. I decided to start of witha blog so that I could share some info with hams who share the same interest : HOME BREWING

I started out with homebrewing even before I got my ticket .....
I got involved with electronics when i was in 9th Grade.(Now I am a sophomore in college). My mentor in electronics is Mr. Ramesh(Ex- VU2VTZ) . He always used to talk about how radio electronics was challenging and rewarding.
That started me off and my first RF Homebrew was a small room Bug which would
transmit in the BCB FM range.....It gave me many hours of fun and entertainment as I used to bug my own room and go to the terrace and would listen to my mom complaining about my Room and my Bed HI...HI.....

After a year I decided to write my ASOC (Amateur Station Operator Certificate)  and cleared it After that my wait begun  ....  I got my ticket 3 years later( in Jan '07 to be exact )

I am Currently working on 2 rigs for my shack :

1. The RM-96 SSB Transceiver capable of putting out 25 watts on 7Mhz
(Design by VU2 RM)
2. The BITX-20 SSB Transceiver with an output of 6 watts on 14 Mhz
(Design by VU2 FAX)


These are yet to be finished. FOr those who are interested do check out:
1. http://www.hamradioindia.org/downloads.php?d_op=getit&lid=41 (the RM-96 Design)
2.http://phonestack.com/farhan/bitx.html (The Bitx design)

Besides these I have these test instruments in my shack:

1. Frequency Counter
2. Test Oscillator
3. FCL-X meter(for mesauring frequency,capacitance and inductance)---still under progress
4. RF Probe

Homebrewing in VU land is a challenge as the Indian market does not offer Highend components and due to the heavy duty and customs it is nearly impossible
to buy components from DX.
We often end up using parts from either salvaged sets or active devices intended to work on AF ...

No comments: